Suspended CJN Walter Onnoghen reportedly forwards resignation letter to Buhari

BA6CD692-0C7C-4C69-B9E9-5AD8B19A75AF.png

Suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, has reportedly tendered his resignation from office with immediate effect following allegations of misconduct and corruption brought against him by the executive arm of government.

The Cable reports that Onnoghen submitted his resignation letter to President Buhari on Thursday April 4th, a day after the National Judicial Council (NJC) completed its investigation into the allegations against the former CJN and forwarded the findings to the President.

Though the content of the report has not been made public, reports say the NJC recommended that Onnoghen should be compulsorily retired from service. He would have been due for retirement by 2020.

Onnoghen was accused of a series of offences ranging from false assets declaration − he allegedly did not declare several bank accounts he owns and which contain huge sums of money in local and foreign currency −, to bribery and misconduct.

Among several other allegations, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) claimed that several senior lawyers paid huge sums of monies as bribes into Onnoghen’s accounts. The commission also said that one senior lawyer, Joe Agi, who had also been accused of corruption in the past, gave Onnoghen a car gift worth millions of naira.

However, the ex-CJN, in his defence said the monies were gifts from the lawyers given to him many years ago when his daughter was getting married.

Onnoghen’s resignation, if accepted by President Buhari, would mean that the President would no longer take the cumbersome route of seeking the approval of the Senate before dismissing him. However, the resignation also means that the former CJN could still be entitled to all his severance package as a former head of the nation’s judiciary.

Meanwhile, the case of false assets declaration is currently ongoing at the Code of Conduct Tribunal. Both the prosecution and the defence teams in the case have closed their cases, and the tribunal had adjourned to enable both teams to prepare their final addresses before judgement would be delivered.

The case has been adjourned to April 15 for judgement.

Advertisements

Man accuses Prince Harry and Meghan Markle of taking over his Instagram account without his permission

244FFBE6-B7BB-4204-9F5F-29FC95F1C5A3.png

A social media user is airing his grievance after he came online to find that the Instagram account he’s owned for years now belongs to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex recently broke out of the Kensington Royal social media account to create their own Instagram account @SussexRoyal. Just hours after they joined Instagram, they had millions of followers.

 

Now, a football fan who owned the account is complaining about having the royals take over his account without asking him for consent.

 

Man accuses Prince Harry and Meghan Markle of taking over his Instagram account without his permission

 

Kevin Keiley, from Worthing, West Sussex, selected the @sussexroyal handle when he joined the photo-sharing website because he lives in the county and supports Reading, whose nickname is the Royals. But Harry and Meghan, who arrived on the platform this week, have now been given the handle and Kevin said nobody asked him about it.

 

Mr Keiley said he only became aware of the switch when his son sent him a jokey text message about the fact the royal couple were posting from his old account.

 

He immediately logged in and found his handle, which he had owned ‘for years’, had been changed from @SussexRoyal to @-sussexroyal- . @SussexRoya had now been assigned to The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Kevin told ITV: “All they needed to do was tell me over email what is happening, that the royals want your name and I would’ve given it, but no, they went behind my back and did it without telling me.”

 

Instagram said the change was in line with its policy which allows it to reassign accounts if users are inactive, though Mr Keiley said he was using it to view other people’s content and like posts.

 

Mr Keiley still has possession of the @sussexroyal Twitter handle and more people are now following him on there because they think he’s the royal couple.

He told Radio 1 Newsbeat: “I can tell you that Twitter’s gone mental. I used to have four followers and in 24 hours I’ve gone up to about 198.

“What I’m trying to do is keep tweeting, therefore they can’t take it if it’s active. I don’t know what the royals are planning down the line.”

 

“Sell my car and withdraw the last N2m in my account” – Top NiMET official kidnapped on Abuja-Kaduna road, begs his family as abductors demands N50million ransom

4A286059-3EA9-49D1-A222-D3A90F4A58A1.jpeg

Muntari Yusuf, the General Manager, Public Relations of the Nigeria Meteorological Agency (NiMET)  kidnapped along Abuja-Kaduna expressway has reportedly ordered his family to sell his car and withdraw the last N2million in his account to meet the ransom demand of his abductors.

Mr Yusuf was kidnapped alongside many other travellers on Tuesday afternoon along the expressway while traveling to Abuja.

According to Daily Nigerian, in a recorded telephone conversation of Mr Yusuf, his brother, Nura, and one of the kidnappers, the kidnappers initially demanded N50million.

When the family raised N6million, the kidnappers rejected the offer, describing the issue as rubbish.

Mr Yusuf was then heard in emotion-laden voice directing his brother to withdraw N2million from his account and sell off his car to augment the initial offer.

“Since you are able to raise N6million, there is N2million in my account. You can go to the bank and withdraw it. If you reached agreement with them, fine. If they didn’t agree, go and sell that my (Toyota) Rav 4 car.
“I know the situation I am in. So don’t handle the issue with levity. Don’t speak to them (kidnappers) in harsh tone,” Mr Yusuf cautioned.

Singer, Halsey commands attention as she performs in tiny leotard in Japan (Photos)

428C9D54-5B12-4E8B-91FF-58D29A7E9594.png

American singer, Halsey commanded attention as she put a sexy display on stage during her recent performance in Japan.

The 24-year-old singer performed in a white leotard and revealing pink coat which showcased her thighs during the Tokyo Girls Collection held at Yokohama Arena in Yokohama city, a suburb of Tokyo.

Singer, Halsey commands attention as she performs in tiny leotard ?in Japan (Photos)

The New Jersey singer whose real is Ashley Nicolette Frangipani also added pointy lace-up boots that matched her suit.

See more photos below.
Singer, Halsey commands attention as she performs in tiny leotard ?in Japan (Photos)Singer, Halsey commands attention as she performs in tiny leotard ?in Japan (Photos)

Rihanna flaunts her ample assets as she poses in just bra and panties (Photos)

CBA60161-F34D-4888-A051-DABE8D91ECA2.jpeg

Pop star, Rihanna looked sexy as ever while modeling the new Spring line of her Savage x Fenty lingerie line.

The 31-year-old singer showed off her ample assets and incredible curves in a padded pink patterned bra and panties from her new collection. She also wore a pair of very sexy red strappy sandals as she put on a very sexy display.

See full photos below.

 

Rihanna flaunts her ample assets as she poses in just bra and panties (Photos)Rihanna flaunts her ample assets as she poses in just bra and panties (Photos)Rihanna flaunts her ample assets as she poses in just bra and panties (Photos)Rihanna flaunts her ample assets as she poses in just bra and panties (Photos)

UAE denies cancelling three months tourist visa for Nigerian passport holders

982CCEB9-6B84-4663-B23C-F4BD02DB96DA.jpeg

The United Arab Emirates Embassy in Nigeria has denied media reports that it has cancelled the three months tourist visa for Nigerian passport holders.

Reports were rife two days ago that the UAE government took the decision following the robbery operation by five Nigerian men in Dubai.

Well, the Embassy took to its twitter handle to deny the reports.

”Press Statement

In light of the press reports published today alleging that the UAE has suspended issuing tourist visas to Nigerian nationals, the UAE Embassy in Abuja announces that these news are inaccurate and stresses the importance of sourcing news from its official channel”.

UAE denies cancelling three months tourist visa for Nigerian passport holders

Meet the man who was the only passenger in a 189-passenger Boeing 737 plane to Italy

39661ABC-BC1C-4823-9510-048B625FC8E2.png

A man was surprised to find that he was the only passenger on board a Boeing 737 flight to Italy.

Skirmantas Strimaitis, a Lithuanian national, booked a one-way ticket to northern Italy. He was flying from Vilnius to Bergamo for a skiing trip on March 16 and was in for a shock when he discovered he had the entire Boeing 737-800 to himself.

The plane, which has a seating capacity of 189, had only Skirmantas, two pilots, and five crew members in it.

This comes after 157 people on board a Boeing 737 owned by Ethiopian Airlines were killed in a plane crash en route to Nairobi.

Strimaitis suspected something was amiss when he went to check in at Lithuania’s Vilnius International Airport and was told the crew were waiting for him. After asking why, Strimaitis was informed that he was the sole passenger on board.

 

Meet the man who was the only passenger in a 189-passenger Boeing 737 plane to Italy

 

Tour operator Novaturas confirmed to CNN Travel they chartered a flight from Bergamo to Vilnius for a group of clients that day. In order to avoid the aircraft coming back empty, one-way tickets were put on sale for the return trip.

However, Strimaitis was the only person to buy one. Leading to what he describes as a “unique and unreal” experience.

He told CNN Travel:

The crew seemed quite confused at first. Maybe it was a new experience for them as well.

I was provided with a personal pre-flight safety demonstration. Then I just enjoyed the flight by taking selfies and writing. To have silence on a plane was very unusual. I was smiling all day.

 

Strimaitis says the pilot referred to him as “Mr Passenger” while speaking over the tannoy after the plane landed at Orio al Serio International Airport in Bergamo.

“The crew said how nice it was to have me on the board,” he explains. “I’m sure it was an easy job for them.”